Temple of Hera, Olympia

 Temple of Hera, Olympia 


Today's adventure is visiting the Temple of Hera, Olympia. The temple is located in Olympia, Greece. It was built in 460 BC by Doric order. The temple was built to honor Hera the god of women, marriage, family and childbirth. She is also known to be the queen of gods and wife of Zeus.

This temple was built has an altar for Hera and Zeus but since they built a separate temple for him it became only Hers. It's one of the oldest temples in Olympia. The temple was built with limestone and upper part with mud brick.  It got destroyed during an earthquake in the early 4th century CE. It's fascinating how the columns are still standing until this day. 

As my journey comes to an end, I can't get over these amazing temples I visited. I have learned so much throughout this journey of each and one of the temples. I am amazed how the designs of these temples influenced so much in our modern buildings. I am glad that I was able to travel to Greece and see it myself!! Hopefully next time I am able to go and visit other temples but has of now it's a farewell. Thank you for reading my blog and I hope you were able to enjoy it!! 



Work Cited:

Temple of Hera, Olympia - Bing images

Temple of Hera, Olympia - Bing images

Comments